The Affordable Care Act: Numbers to Know
Because of the provisions of the Affordable Care Act, Americans are already seeing lower costs and better coverage:
- 54 million Americans in private plans have received one or more free preventive services.
- In addition, in 2011, 32.5 million seniors received one or more free preventive services. So far in 2012, 14 million seniors have already received these services.
- 105 million Americans no longer have a lifetime limit on their coverage.
- Up to 17 million children with pre-existing conditions can no longer be denied coverage by insurers.
- 6.6 million young adults up to age 26 have taken advantage of the law to obtain health insurance through their parents’ plan, of whom 3.1 million would be uninsured without this coverage.
- 5.1 million seniors in the ‘donut hole’ have saved $3.2 billion on their prescription drugs, an average of $635 per senior.
- In 2011, 2.3 million seniors had a free Annual Wellness Visit under Medicare. So far in 2012, 1.1 million seniors have already had this free visit.
- In 2011, 360,000 small employers used the Small Business Health Care Tax Credit to help them afford health insurance for 2 million workers.